Saturday, January 30, 2010

Let Them Eat Cake!

First off, I will say that Maria Antoinette didn't say this, contrary to popular belief. But this week, I did say it (at least, in my mind), and Alton Brown, again, was the inspiration.

I made a one of the easiest cakes I've ever made (not counting a box). I decided to peruse my Whole Wheat Baking book again, and this time I happened upon a recipe for "Maple Pudding Cake." Since I make chocolate in all kinds of variations so often, I decided to try making just a good, simple cake. This one was delicious, and really, so easy! It took me probably 7 minutes to whip together, then you just cook it. Nothing more! What I loved about this recipe, was that it called for ingredients that I already had, and I think most others will have.

Now, my Alton Brown-inspired (created) cake is in the oven right now. Wednesday night he did his show on Classic American Recipes. The Tres Leche Cake was among these recipes. Ever head of it? I hadn't, and neither had Mommy. He starts out by sitting in front of a peice of cake and a glass of milk. He says, "Ah, cake and milk...Is there anything better?" Which prompts him to shove the piece of cake in his glass of milk, adding that there is a much better way to go about this. Hence, the Tres Leche!
So basically what this is:
Light, fluffy vanilla white cake. (Homemade; no box!)
Cool for a few minutes.
Poke holes vigorously with scewers.
Pour mixture of evaporated milk, sweetened condensed milk, and half & half over the top of this cake. (Yes, you read it right)
Put in cooler overnight.
Top with whipped cream (homemade, bien sur).

Cake just came out...smells delicious. I can't wait to eat this cake tomorrow morning for breakfast...:)

What an interesting variation on cake and milk! Supposely, this cake got so popular from being on the back of the sweetened condensed milk cans. Have you made this or heard of this before, Grandma?

Here are the 2 reipes.

Maple-Brown Sugar Pudding Cake

FIRST LAYER
1.5 cups whole wheat flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup maple syrup
1 large egg
1.5 tsp vanilla extract
4 T. butter, melted
1 cup copped walnuts

SECOND LAYER
1 cup brown sugar
3 T. cornstarch
1.5 cups hot water

Oven 350 degrees
8 x 8 or 9 x 9 greased pan.

Whisk flour, brown sugar, baking powder, salt.
Seperate bowl, mix milk, syrup, egg, vanilla, and melted butter.
Mix with dry ingredients.
Add walnuts.
Pour into pan.
Combine brown sugar and cornstarch, and sprinkle over the batter.
Pour hot water over all.
Bake 45 minutes. Serve warm!

The sugar, cornstarch and water will have combined at the bottom to leave make a nice sauce!

********************************

Tres Leche Cake

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/tres-leche-cake-recipe/index.html

Enjoy! I have the nutrition facts on the Maple Cake, if anyone is interested. Just let me know! Each serving has 11g of whole grains and complex carbs. so it's not a total loss.

1 comment:

  1. Ellie, I have not heard of that cake smothered in all that fattening milk stuff. Sounds great though. Let me know how it turns out. Hmmm on the back of the sweetened condensed milk can huh....Don't think I have heard of it. The Maple cake is delicous. Love sampling your cooking Ellie and hope Beaches does too !!

    ReplyDelete